Tag Archives: #btrfs

OpenSuSE zombies from btrfs

I installed an openSuSE 13.2 x64. I opted out btrfs and went with ext4. I logged in and found zombies on a freshly installed and updated OS:

lizzy:~ # ps ajx | grep -w Z | grep -v grep ; uname -a
9955 10011 1149 1149 ? -1 Z 0 0:05 [btrfs-defrag-pl]
9955 10012 1149 1149 ? -1 Z 0 0:05 [snapper.py]
Linux lizzy 3.16.7-7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 17 18:00:44 UTC 2014 (762f27a) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Zombies are coming from the btrfs-something-backend, but why? Those are a perl and a python scripts, ran from who-knows-where-and-why, and I will find them, and tame them, but this is not looking good – first I got some Adobe’s garbage (IC profiles and that idiotic flash player) pre-installed, and it took me a few minutes to figure out where to declare those as persona non-grata in yast, making sure they won’t try to update or install again on every single operation with packages! Now the zombies…

“This does not bond well, commander…”; yet XCOM is working flawlessly, out of the box, with the FLOSS radeon driver, and the dreadful NetworkManager is not calling home – openSUSE introduces wicked here, a home-brew connections manager that actually co-operates with the user well (unlike the NM, that hijacks everything it can, systemd-style). I’ll keep this lizard in my digital garden a bit more…